2018年6月11日 星期一

[FUN WITH READING 2018-20222B] Humiliation or Honor?-Just Be Yourself

20222李仲杰 (LEE, JUNG-JEE)
[BOOK PROFILE]
TITLE OF THE BOOK: Diary of a Wimpy Kid 2
NAME OF THE AUTHOR: Jeff Kinney
YEAR OF PUBLICATION: 2008
ISBN: 978-0-8109-9473-7
Humiliation or Honor?-Just Be Yourself
Greg Heffley talked about his summer vacation and he attempted to steer clear of trouble when he returned to his middle school and tried to keep his older brother, Rodrick, from telling everyone about Greg’s most humiliating experience of the summer.
Through some simple words and illustrations, the story begins with Greg’s summer vacation and the camp he joined. The first challenge was that Greg was asked to take part in a swimming team. But unfortunately, he didn’t have enough perseverance to continue. So all he can do is hide out in the locker room until the practice was over. During the time, he even had to wrap himself up in toilet paper to resist hypothermia. Second, Greg’s older “Rodrick” found his diary by accident, and took it away. This led him to know lots of secrets which Greg had and wanted to conceal. The crisis had caused the brotherhood to break up. With the plot development, we can gradually see how the resolved the misunderstandings between them.
There are two critical parts which attracted me a lot, which made me think for a long time. “At that point, I was really desperate. So I went upstairs and grabbed a big handful of thousand dollar bills and brought them down to Rodrick’s room. I gave him the money, and he turned over the paper. I felt really bad about what I did, but I just tried not to think about think it and went to sleep.” Maybe a person has endless greed, desire and ambition for money, reputation, and soon. But when the protagonist here stole the money Rodrick had, he contended with himself, and regretted. Rationality is a compass, and desire is a storm. We should do well to control our ambition so that it can prevent us from seeking for wealth at all.
“The craziest thing happened today. When I walked in the door at school, a bunch of guys cornered me, and I braced myself for the teasing to start. But instead of harassing me, they started congratulating me.“ Things cannot be as bad as we think. In the last plot, Greg thought that today would become the most shameful time he lived. Instead, he became a hero on campus because all things he had got messed up and spread around by Rodrick. Thanks to Rodrick, we can not only see a wonderful example that he made Greg’s crisis become a turning point, but a valuable brotherhood. There is no garden without its weeds. We just need them to broaden our horizons and embellish our lives.

沒有留言:

張貼留言